Saying Goodbye to Field Trips

Per my last post, I know I have left a lot of you with unanswered questions to my unanswered thoughts. Rob and I originally had agreed to wait until he was back from his trip to Australia to announce the new development to Field Trips but after our recent conversation, he said he would be OK with me discussing it.

As many of you have asked and guessed, Rob and I have amicably decided to split ways. Although it definitely saddens me to no longer be a part of Field Trips, I know at the end of the day that this is best for both of us.

Nothing specific happened to spark this decision. I spoke in past posts about our difference in work ethics and how, although we operate differently, it works well. But, the more time we worked together, the more different our motivations had become. I found myself feeling really lost and unmotivated and of course, I can’t speak for him, but I’m sure he sensed that my demeanor was beginning to change.

I do think Panama is where I realized it the most. My time there was truthfully so eye-opening and although I was left with a lot of frustration and confusion, I really had the time of my life in the moments that I felt I could be myself. From the gorgeous sunrises on the black sand beaches, to the abundance of fresh fruit and fresh fish that we were blessed with, down to the people from all walks of life that I was lucky enough to meet and share this experience with, Panama was a trip I will never forget.

I spoke briefly about what took place while I was there and I tried to keep it as vague as possible because I don’t want to talk badly about anyone or anything, but at the end of the day, it’s not the business. It’s not the company. It’s not any one person. Nothing specific happened to make me feel the way that I felt. It was a lot of little things combined that made me feel as though I really didn’t belong there.

But all of that aside, I met the most amazing groups of people. My first week there was for the Kayak Fishing World Championship where we had guys from all over the world (The United States, Canada, Singapore, Switzerland, Australia, Germany, Costa Rica). Talk about a rowdy group of men. I am so used to the rambunctious personalities of competitive men so it was almost comforting to be surrounded by these guys every day.

The stories, the memories, the personalities, the knowledge — I wouldn’t trade any of it. All of them were so kind and humble, so encouraging and welcoming, so knowledgeable and skilled in their own tricks and trades. I can only hope I made the positive impact on them that they made on me.

As for my second week there, we had people from the United States, Canada and Ireland. I can not speak more highly of this group of people. It was definitely a different dynamic from the first group as many of these guys (both men and women) weren’t nearly as experienced as the guys we had the week before. But they all knew what they were doing and more importantly, they all knew how to fish. Even the other Jamie, who had never been in a kayak before, kicked ass out on the water battling swells and strong fish.

The guys from Ireland were some of the funniest people I’ve met. But forget it when they start drinking. It’s nearly impossible to understand them. I asked myself so many times, are they speaking English right now? But the beer kept pouring and the conversation kept flowing.

As for Rob and me, I don’t think I could say anything bad about him if I tried. I’m definitely sad my time on the road has come to an end and if I had the chance to do it over, I know what I would change. But thankfully, I am young and will have the opportunity to start over in another career where I will carry his advice and knowledge with me.

To take a chance on a complete stranger, like he did with me, is not something a normal person would do. But Rob is far from normal (in the best ways) and I was really lucky to have him as a boss and a roommate and can absolutely call him one of my life-long friends. Sure, we had our disagreements here and there and we both had issues with one another at certain times. But he gave me a chance when I needed one the most. He made my dreams of travelling come true and fed my passion for fishing.

I remember many of our conversations, most of them leaning towards the passion to change people’s lives and I can honestly say, Rob changed mine. I leave the RV with nothing but gratitude and respect for Rob.

I had visions of us taking over the world and one day having our own TV show about our travels and fishing adventures, but nothing ever goes as planned. And that’s OK. When one door closes, another door opens. And I can’t wait to see what the future holds for me. This internship gave me a taste of the possibilities I can make out of my life and even though I’m not much of a self-starter, I know I have a lot to offer to another business/employer.

Moral of my time on the road: You have the power to make the life you have always dreamed of having. Take a chance on yourself and others will take the chance with you, too. Believe in yourself, challenge yourself, push yourself. The outcome may not be what you thought, but you will learn so much on the journey. And the journey is the most important part; not the destination.

I don’t know my destination, but what fun is life if you do?

Advertisements

19 thoughts on “Saying Goodbye to Field Trips

1. Aj Creamer says:

Jamie,

I’ve been watching Robs videos for about 3 or 4 years now when I first realized people actually fished out of kayaks. I have really enjoyed the videos with both you and him and will not hesitate saying that I will miss you on Robs videos. It’s great to hear you say the nice things about him. For whatever reason it’s comforting (to me) to know someone isn’t being completely fake in front of the camera. It also says so much of you, by not ripping him apart and not being negative towards him or what he does. I recently made a complete career change myself at 34 years old and went to work for a great friend that has his own successful business and it has not worked out. I am not cut out for it and I definitely see a difference between working for him and being his friend. I’ve been really frustrated at times and wanted to lash out my frustration toward him and his business but have not because he’s a line long friend who gave me a job when I thought I needed a change. Now, on this coming Monday I’m telling him it’s time for me to go and I’m sure he knows and will be fine with it. I gained a ton of respect for you with this post and wish you the best. I wish it could have worked with you and Rob but some things aren’t meant to last and it’s awesome to see someone handle it with grace and dignity. I look forward to reading more and please keep us informed if you ever decide to start your own YouTube. Until then, have a great weekend and God speed!

Get Outlook for iOS

________________________________

• RHINOjoe Outdoors says:

Gosh life is CRAZY! You are young and so blessed to have such a good vision for your life. Keep looking and adventuring! I’m 34 and I’m still trying to figure out what it’s all about and what my goals are. Life is too short and any day it could be taken away in a blink! Learn what you can from the past and drive on!

• James Lee Costa says:

Thank you so much! I’m sure you’ll figure it out soon and when you do, you’ll know what it is you want to do. Good luck and thanks for the comment.

• James Lee Costa says:

Hey AJ! Thanks for the kind words. I’ll definitely miss being a part of Field Trips but like you said, some things aren’t meant to last. I hope things go well with your friend and you’re able to move forward with your friendship. You’ll never know what you want to do if you don’t try so I admire your courage in taking that leap. I know how hard it can be. I do have my own YouTube channel, I actually just posted a Q&A on there this evening. The link is bit.ly/YourQuestionsMyAnswers . I hope you get around to checking it out and let me know what you think! Thank you again and good luck with your future endeavors.

2. Rick Flores says:

What a powerful statement. You have had some amazing memories. Now go and conquer your world. But bring us along. The things you have accomplished are just steps amongst the stairs of greater achievements. Your story is just beginning and we cannot wait to see what amazing things you do!!!

Liked by 1 person

• James Lee Costa says:

Thank you so much Rick! I always appreciate such kind words from you guys, they have a huge impact on me. Excited to see what I’m going to do as well but even more excited to share it with you all.

3. Robert says:

Enjoyed you being a part of field trips, too bad it didn’t workout. I’m sure it wasn’t easy decision for you to part ways but you’ve got to do what’s best for you!

Liked by 1 person

• James Lee Costa says:

I enjoyed being a part of it as well! It wasn’t an easy decision, thankfully Rob made the decision for us even though it was what I was thinking deep down also.

4. Jeff Hotz says:

So I started following and watching Robs videos this past year I saw the video where he first met you out fishing with your dad. when he announced you where joining him on his trips I thought wow how cool is that and looked foward to seeing how that was going to go.
    after seeing you start showing up in the videos I started commenting how great it was to see you in the videos and started enjoying seeing you as well as Rob. I was really looking foward to seeing you really take off and seeing more of you fishing and crushing some fish out there so it saddens me to see you are leaving but what you wrote was powerful and kind and honest and you carry yourself with honor, integrity and a grace that all should strive to have.
    I will miss you on Field trips but looking foward to seeing what your new adventures are going to be and hope you start your own youtube channel as I think it will be a good one. me being a fishing youtuber myself I understand what it takes day in and day out to fish and film.
    for what ever happened and what ever your reasons this was a great growing experience for you I think and you learned a lot along the way I bet.
    So I will leave you with this hold your head up be proud of what you accomplished and keep moving foward.
    Also if you ever want to come back to Virginia and fish you have an open invitation anytime I have 3 kayaks and a small bass boat and be happy to host you anytime good luck with what ever your next adventure is and I will be looking foward to seeing what that will be!

• James Lee Costa says:

Thanks for the comment, Jeff! It saddens me to go as well but it’s what’s best for both of us and I entirely plan on doing at least 5 fishing trips a year in various parts of the country, so I might take you up on that offer when the weather gets better! I currently have a YouTube channel that I just started posting on again tonight; the current link is at bit.ly/YourQuestionsMyAnswers . I hope you find the time to check it out and subscribe! Would love the link to yours as well. I absolutely did learn so much on this journey and experienced more than I can put into words which is why I am leaving with no regrets and absolute appreciation for everything Rob offered to me. Thanks for the words of advice.

• James Lee Costa says:

That’s truthfully all that happened! I wouldn’t have taken the time to write something as sincere and kind about Rob if something negative had taken place. We both just were looking for something different out of each other but we’re still in touch and on really good terms.

5. Art Riehl says:

Loved seeing you on the show. Just see it for what it was girl. A fabulous chapter one in you long life book. I hope I get to see you showup for chapter two.

Lucky Uncle Art